This recipe is so simple and quick (if you have quite a few baking trays to hand). I've made these a few times and they always quite eaten up really fast!
You will need:
350g Self-Raising Flour
200g Caster Sugar
A Pinch of Salt
1 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
1 tbsp Ground Ginger
125g Butter or Margarine
75g Golden Syrup
Equipment: Mixing bowl, saucepan, wooden spoon, non-stick baking tray, cooling rack.
1. Put all the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl (Flour, Sugar, Salt, Bicarbonate of Soda and Ground Ginger.)
2. Melt the Butter and Golden Syrup over a low heat in a saucepan.
3. Remove the saucepan from the heat and allow it to cool slightly. Then pour the mixture from the saucepan into the mixing bowl with all the ingredients and add the egg.
4. Mix all the ingredients together until a stiff dough forms.
5. Using you hand take small amount of the dough and roll into a ball between the palms of you hands. Put the balls onto a baking tray and use you fingers to flatten them a little. (You may need to experiment with the size of the balls of dough as they spread out a bit while cooking.) Also you may need to cook them in several batches as you can get about 30 or so out of the mixture.
6. Put into a pre-heated oven at 160°C for 15 - 20 minutes or until golden. Take out and leave on the tray for a few minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.