I wanted something sweet and I've not baked anything for ages so I decided to make these, doughnut muffins. They're delicious, although not quite as yummy as real fresh doughnuts!
200g caster sugar
2 large eggs
375g plain flour
3/4 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
topping: 50g caster sugar, 1 tsp ground cinnamon, 1 tbsp butter
1. Grease a deep 12-cup muffin pan. In a large bowl, beat together the margarine and sugar.
2. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition.
3. Add the baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt, nutmeg along with half the flour and half the milk. Fold this into the mixture until combined.
4. Add the remaining flour and milk, mixing until fully combined.
5. Spoon the mixture into the muffin tin, filling each hole to about two-thirds full. Bake in preheated oven at 180°C for 15-20 minutes or until they are light brown in colour.
6. Mix the sugar and cinnamon together in a small bowl. While the muffins are still warm, brush lightly with melted butter and sprinkle over the cinnamon and sugar mixture.